ELEMENTS may seem like an unusual name for a newsletter but for us, the word is pretty much of a North Star. We use the “7 Elements of Compliance “to guide everything we do.
A little history by way of explanation.
In the mid 1990’s the CDC, OSHA and other government agencies began expanding regulations effecting Medical Practices in response to a number of environmental crises including the AIDS epidemic, TB scare, workplace harassment, and general concern over workplace safety. Add to that the emergence of HMO type insurance payers with increased payment rules, and the result was an ocean of new regulations and rules with no coherent guidelines on how to avoid penalties and insure a safe workplace.
Enter the 7 Elements. To help navigate in the expanding ocean of rules and regulations the CDC issued the “7 Elements of an Effective Compliance Program”. They quickly became the gold standard of compliance with any regulatory guideline — and they remain so today.
The Seven Fundamental Elements of an Effective Compliance Program
- Implementing written policies, procedures and standards of conduct
- Designating a compliance officer and compliance committee
- Conducting effective training and education
- Developing effective lines of communication
- Conducting internal monitoring and auditing
- Enforcing standards through well-publicized disciplinary guidelines
- Responding promptly to detected offences and undertaking corrective action
We hope you find the articles and insights in The HCN Elements Newsletter to be useful and informative as you pursue your own culture of compliance.