Does your practice promote a culture of compliance? Here are 7 TIPS on how to encourage ethical conduct and promote a culture of compliance.
A practice’s culture of compliance should reflect practice values, goals, attitudes and behaviors related to compliance with laws, regulations, rules, standards, the Code of Conduct, and policies. Your compliance program should promote a compliance culture that creates an environment less likely to have regulatory or enforcement problems.
7 ways to instill a culture of compliance
- Use every staff meeting to emphasize the practice’s commitment to legal and regulatory compliance.
- Have senior leadership and physicians together deliver the compliance message.
- Make sure that all internal matters are handled equitably at all levels of the organization.
- Deliver consistent messages to all areas of the practice related to compliance and ethics.
- Adopt a hire to retire attitude.
- Make employees comfortable with coming forward with legal, ethical or compliance questions.
- Reward staff for their adherence to ethical values.
Remember – Your practice’s compliance culture should match your compliance goals.